The mission of the Medical Laboratory Science program of Hayat University College is to prepare professionals with the highest quality of technical and clinical laboratory competences to skillfully serve their patients and their community.
The Medical Laboratory Science program of Hayat University College aspires to be a center of excellence in medical laboratory education and research with clear roles in augmenting the medical laboratory practice in Sudan and in the region.
General Objectives of the program:
The general objectives of this program are to:
Provide the Sudan and the region with competent and well skilled laboratory scientists.
Provide the student with the professional competencies to meet the entry requirements for the profession of medical laboratory science.
Provide the student with opportunities to grow professionally in developing ethical and moral attitudes regarding duties and responsibilities to the patients, to members of the health care team and to the community.
Specific Objectives of the program
- Demonstrate knowledge of the normal structure and function of the different body systems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the various causes (genetic, developmental, metabolic, toxic, microbiologic, autoimmune, neoplastic, degenerative, and traumatic) leading to pathogenesis.
- Demonstrate understanding of the scientific basis and interpretation of common diagnostic laboratory procedures.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform routine technical procedures.
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret the results of commonly used diagnostic procedures
- Demonstrate honesty and integrity in all interactions with patients’ families, colleagues, and others with whom laboratory scientist must interact in his/her professional lives.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate compassionately, effectively, and in culturally and emotionally appropriate ways, both verbally and in writing, with patients, their families, colleagues and others with whom laboratory scientists must exchange information in carrying out their responsibilities.
Expected specific Learning Outcomes for the programme graduates:
After successful completion of the courses of this program, graduate will be able to:
Graduate of this program will be competent to:
- Collect, process, and analyze biological specimens and other related substances.
- Apply basic scientific principles in learning new techniques and procedures.
- Perform analytical tests on body fluids, cells and other biological specimens.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance of equipment and instruments or refer to appropriate sources for repairs.
- Identify factors that affect procedures and results.
- Resolve discrepant test results and take appropriate actions within predetermined limits when corrections are indicated.
- Perform and monitor quality control within predetermined limits.
- Employ safety principles according to health and environmental regulations.
- Correlate laboratory findings with common disease processes.
- Interact professionally with other health care personnel.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate effective problem solving and reasoning skills.
- Work effectively in groups of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional understanding and conduct.
- Apply appropriate information literacy skills to locate, evaluate and use information effectively.
- Use computer technology appropriate to the field.
- Use scientific and mathematical reasoning appropriate to the technology
B.Sc. (Honors) in Medical laboratory Sciences with 180 to 182 Credit hours .
Coordinator of Medial Laboratory Science Program